The following are the various needs that members fulfill via virtual communities:
- Information - - Virtual community members find value in a community that provides access to information that helps them learn, solve problems, and make decisions.
- Relationship-Building - - Virtual community members seek to build productive relationships through interaction with others within a community.
- Social Identity/Self-Expression - - Virtual community members want to achieve self-awareness that they are a member of the community and are gratified by the emotional and cognitive connection with the community, as a whole, as well as their ability to express such connection.
- Helping Others - - Virtual community members are grateful by helping others within a community, especially those with whom they have developed a personal connection.
- Enjoyment - - Virtual community members are gratified by achieving flow states, while interacting with others by having control over their experience with a community.
- Belongingness - - Virtual community members desire a sense of attachment to a community, as a whole, and are gratified by having their contributions to the community respected by others.
- Status/Influence - - Virtual community members seeks status and influence among others within a community.