- Public perception is public reality.
- Be upfront, even with bad news. This will build trust.
- Speak with control and confidence. You are the expert.
- Know the audience. Most members of the media have little understanding of science and engineering.
- Remember - the right source isn't always the most senior member of a project team or organization involved in the interview.
- Keep what you say simple, relevant, and memorable.
- Never go "off the record."
- Be consistent, be fair.
- Return media calls promptly, showing a reporter you care about the story.
- Never lie or mislead.
Sunday, October 4, 2009
Top 10 Media Tips
Provided below is a list of the top 10 media tips for engineers to remember: