- Acting without gauging how your actions will be perceived and what the response will be.
- Ignoring the consequences of a given action for future as well as current negotiations.
- Talk not just about the issues but about the negotiation process: "We seem to be at an impasse; perhaps we should spend some more time exploring our respective objectives and constraints."
- Slow down the pace: "I'm not ready to agree, but I'd prefer not walk away either. I think this warrants further exploration."
- Issue warnings without making threats: "Unless you're willing to work with me toward a mutually acceptable outcome, I can't afford to spend more time negotiating."