Rifkin sees five pillars in The Third Industrial Revolution - -
- Shifting to renewable energy.
- Transforming the building stock of every continent into micro-power plants to collect renewable energies on site.
- Deploying hydrogen and other storage technologies in every building and throughout the infrastructure to store intermittent energies.
- Using Internet technology to transform the power grid of every continent into an energy-sharing intergrid that acts just like the Internet (when millions of buildings are generating a small amount of energy locally, on site, they can sell surplus back to the grid and share electricity with their continental neighbors).
- Transitioning the transport fleet to electric plug-in and fuel cell vehicles that can buy and sell electricity on a smart, continental, interactive power grid.