On March 21, 2014, the Securing Water for Food Grand Challenge for Development and the United States Bureau of Reclamation announced the launch of the Desal Prize. The second call for proposals under Securing Water for Food, the Desal Prize aims to incentivize the creation of a small-scale brackish water desalination unit that can provide potable water for humans, as well as water appropriate for livestock and crops in developing countries.
The winning innovation will be selected based on its fulfillment of several criteria, including:
- Provides water that is both potable and appropriate for small-scale agriculture
- Relies on renewable energy
- Offers improvement on brine minimization
- Utilizes a chemical-free process
- And is cost efficient, portable, durable, and easy to maintain