Sam Leith has a good columen on talking like a TEDer in the Financial Times On public speaking column on February 18, 2014 - Lessons on how to talk like TED. I love the nine aspects of public speaking outlined in the column:
- Be passionate about your topic.
- Engage the audience by telling stories (Engineers need to get much better at this - - ministers learn this in Theology 101).
- Treat your speach like a conversation.
- Tell the audience something it doesn't know.
- Include a few jaw-droppers.
- Use humour (Engineering 101 needs to include going to see improvisational comedy).
- Keep it brief.
- Engage all the senses by painting word pictures (Words yes - - but we live in a world of incrediable visualization technology - - sometimes just let the picture or graph or chart tell the story - - let the graph be the stunning jaw-dropper).
- Be authentic.